Saturday, January 23, 2010

Roy Webb and Gold City?

It was announced recently that Roy Webb, former keys for Ernie Haase and Signature Sound, has been hired to the keys position for Gold City Quartet. Now I don't know about you but I think Roy is one of, if not the best, pianist in Southern Gospel. Why would his hiring be of any concern me? Short answer, it shouldn't. Long answer: a long time ago and a galaxy.....couldn't resist. I've known Roy for at least 30 years. I've watched him play and transform from a teenager to a young man, married with a family. I remember how he started and what he sounded like when no one but his church family heard him. He has matured into, what I feel and believe, an artist with no peer. No one can match his ability to perform and minister through the ivory keys of his instrument. I do not feel that a talent should be wasted. It remains to be seen if Gold City can boot-strap themselves to again become a musical force that no other quartet can surpass, let alone equal. The halcyon days of, "We're here, move over!" are long gone. That's not to say that southern gospel as a genre is over, just the attitude, thank you!

No comments:

Post a Comment